Antique Safes/OLD SAFE

Question
safe
safe  
safe
safe  
QUESTION: I have an old safe in my building in Chicago and was wondering if you could provide me with any information about it?  It is about 58" height and 40" width. It has a number on the handle that says 54350..  See attached pictures. Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Steve,

It Appears that you have a "ruined" Hall's Safe & Lock Company safe, from around 1872-1874.

It looks like someone has DRILLED the heck out of the active door.   Parts are NOT available, meaning that who ever drilled the safe, has ruined it.

So basically at this point, you have a really big cabinet - with little to no value.

Do you have any specific questions concerning it???

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick reply.  What would be the best way to open this to see if anything is inside?  I guess it doesn't matter if it gets ruined since it isn't worth anything.

Answer
Hi Steve,

As I don't know what damage has been done to the lock or bolt work, I would recommend having it looked at by a safe technician from a local safe company

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area, and/or recommend.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)