Antique Safes/old safe

Question
I have a old safe that says De beers minning safe on front of door with a eagle with spread wings on it looks like gold leaf and leafing on all four corners. It says safe cabniet standard l e type marietta ohio serial # 8172 inside door. If you could tell me how old it is and maybe what it's worth would be nice, I have no intentions of selling it, I've had it around 35yrs. Thank you vry much.

Answer
Mike,

Sorry but I doubt that this safe was ever owned by De Beers Mining Company.   It is not a security safe and has no burglary resistance.   If it was owned by De Beers Mining, it would have been as a fire resistive office cabinet.    While this makes a unique story, unless you have documentation of ownership, that's about all it is, is a story.    Sorry.

Your safe was produced by Safe Cabinet Laboratories (a division of Remington Rand) between 1926 to 1955.   This company was known to use asbestos as an insulation material, and these cabinets were designed for office use only for document protection from fires.   The type "LE" indicates that it is ONLY designed for "Light Exposure" to heat (probably a one hour rating). When Remington-Rand was acquired by the Sperry Corporation in 1955, they shut down all manufacturing of safes.  

These containers do not meet any current standards for fire resistance, they have no burglary resistance - they are tamper resistant only.   They have no resale value for commercial or retail use, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of any cash, jewelry or valuable documents.    It is NOT antique (over 100 years old), nor is it considered collectible.

While it has no value under any of the above categories, doesn't mean that it has no value.   It can be used for general purpose storage of documents or easily replaceable items that you are going to provide with minimum fire resistant storage.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)