Antique Safes/PlymetL Air-Tite Clothes Vault Lock

Question
Lock Exterior
Lock Exterior  

Inside view of lock
Inside view of lock  
I have a vintage Clothes Vault with a door handle that has a key lock.  I have been aunable to find anyone who can repair or replace the lock.  The internal mechanism no longer works.  I have a key that fits but the locking mechanism no longer works.It allows you to turn the key but the lock does not work.  Is the anyone I can sent this lock to for repair or replacement.  I live in Columbus OH.  The locksith said I would need to contact the manufacturer however they are no longer in business.

Answer
Hi Jayne,

First let me start by saying that this "clothes vault" is not a safe, and so, kind of outside of my area of expertise.   Using the name "vault" does not make it one.   Oh, and while I'm on it - the word "vintage" applies to the bottling of a wine or harvest of a grape.   The "use" of the word to mean something "OLD", is a yuppie thing trying to make themselves seem "cool".   Sorry, just one of my pet peeves along with the incorrect use of the term "Patina".

Second observation concerning your "locksmith" - unfortunately, while there are many good locksmiths at work, the majority have simply become nothing more than trained monkeys - pull part off, put part on!    With very little actual training, and no real passion for the trade.

While you are correct that the manufacturer is out of business and therefore parts from them are NOT going to be available, this doesn't mean that your cabinet can't be fixed.   You basically have two options - first being simply leave it as it is.   "IF" your cabinet has any collectible value, then you would want to avoid making too many alterations - leave it as is.

If you simply have a desire to be able to lock the cabinet, then you are going to have to change out the handle.   This would be option two.   
Looking at the photos you have provided, it appears that the handle spindle is a square shaft, protruding through the back of the door, through the operating cam, and secured by a small screw.
A readily available (possible) replacement handle, would be a similar type, garage door handle.   Should be available at most hardware stores, for about $5-$10.  (Ace, OSH, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).
Check to ensure that the spindle size is the same.   You can cut the length to fit.
As the front collar for the handle may require screws, you might have to either drill & tap or use sheet metal type screws to secure the collar to the face of the door.    This handle should have a key lock, though this would be very minimum security.   These cabinets were never designed or considered to provide any real security.

As far as repairing your handle - mechanical issues, require hands on diagnostics and repairs.  If your locksmith can't repair the handle (or is unwilling) to repair it, then you are pretty much left with the above two options.   As I haven't looked at it, I don't know if it repairable or not, or whether or not it is worth repairing (cost vs value of repair).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, however as mentioned, this really isn't my area of expertise.   Also I apologize about the "vintage" thing - but I really hate that word!

Hope this helps and/or gives you some ideas.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)