Antique Safes/Remington Shermn safe weight

Question
Safe in question
Safe in question  
QUESTION: Hi Andy
I'm looking to move a r&s safe that measures appx. 33" x 46" x 71". It has an elaborate wooden interior. Can you, from your experience or knowledge, tell me what this puppy is going to weigh?
Many thanks!
Kevin

ANSWER: Hi Kevin,

You asked about finding a book on old safes and safe manufacturers - their history, etc.

Unfortunately there isn't a book that has any of this in mind, "YET"!    I've been working on just such a book discussing the history of antique safes and manufacturers in the US, from the early 1800's through the mid 1900's.   Hopefully I will be ready for publishing later this year.   I've been working on it for over 3 years now.   Fortunately I've just obtained a copy of a rare book that I needed for my research, printed in 1874, which I found in a document archive in Dordrecht, Nederland (Holland).

The publishing companies want me to hurry up and get it to print, but I don't think they understand that this is not a job, it is a labor of love.   Unfortunately, I do have a full time job, plus a couple of grandsons I'm raising, so the book has to take a back seat to almost everything.    Currently it is around 240 pages long, covers close to 290 different manufacturers, and I've got around 20,000 photos that I've got to figure out how to stuff inside (obviously some won't make the cut!).

I'm not sure yet how we are going to market it, but unless some really strange freak of luck happens, I doubt it will be at a Barnes & Nobel.    I may have a web page for it, and I'm going to try to have it available at antique shops and auction houses.    

All I can say is to check back with me towards the end of the year or the beginning of next year to see either how its coming or where you can get one.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Hi Kevin,

without knowing more info about your safe, all I can do is speculate (educated guess).   Weight is determined by the actual materials used and size of the safe.   You only gave me the "exterior dimensions, and not basic interior dimensions.   You also didn't mention whether or not the 71" height included the castors and wheels or not - so I used your numbers.

For "basic" calculations I use 100 lbs per cubic foot of the container.   With 6" thick walls you would use 50 lbs per square foot for your calculations, and with 4" thick walls about 34 lbs per square foot.

using the 71" T x 46" W x 33" D  =  about 14,254 square inches or approx. 99 sq feet of surface space.

for 6" thick walls  =  50 lbs x 99 sq feet  =   4950 lbs

for 4" thick walls  =  34 lbs x 99 sq feet  =   3366 lbs

Regardless of your estimated weight, ALWAYS add for unknowns or mistakes.   You can't go wrong OVER ESTIMATING, but you can definitely get in trouble really quickly if you under estimate.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Andy
This is quite fine! I can't wait to see a finished product. I sell OP books on fine and decorative arts books for a living and can concur that the market is quite limited for these sorts of things. And as you likely know, collectors and institutions pay dearly for just such information. But never enough it seems to move the project from the labor of love category to the wow, I'm gonna make some real coin on this one dept...
I'm quite smitten with These old safes. I have a nice showroom space for my books, and safes will fit in perfectly with them and the space. I'm afraid it may be an expensive addiction. They remind me of wall maps in a way...I used to be able to buy them quite inexpensively because few saw the decorative potential of them. Now they are quite expensive. Of course, wall maps don't need special moving equipment...

Kevin

Answer
Hi Kevin,

It just depends on the size of safes that you collect.   I've got a friend in Napa California, that has 35 safes in his collection.   The majority of them are all fairly small fire safes from the late 1800's through the 1920's.   Most are less than 200 lbs and on wheels so they are quite easy to move.

Depending on where you find them and how badly someone wants to sell them for, they can be had relatively cheaply.   I was pleasantly surprised at an auction I went to last year, that these same small safes were pound for pound some of the biggest sellers, ranging from $1500 to $3500 each.

glad to hear that you are "smitten" by old safes.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)