Antique Safes/Safe won't open

Question
Front
Front  

Lock
Lock  
Hi ,

Have combination ,  handle turns but won't open safe .   Just had safe open the night before .  Any ideas ?

Answer
Hi John,

If the handle turns, then the lock must be unlocked.   If the door won't open then we need to go through a process of elimination.

The door is held closed by to locking bolts on the open side of the door, and two deadbolts on the hinge side of the door.   The deadbolts pretty much just keep the door from opening if someone tries to cut the hinges off.
The locking bolts secure the door closed, and when retracted they allow the door to open.   Assuming that they are retracting correctly (reference handle turning), then we go to the next item, something jammed in the door.

Doors should have a slight amount of play or wiggle.   While this play may be very slight, it still must exist for the bolt work to move in and out correctly.   However if something gets caught in the door jamb, it can keep the door from opening correctly.   Check to make sure you have a slight amount of wiggle.

Unfortunately most older doors like this do not have adjustable hinges, which means over the years if the hinges are not cleaned and lubricated occasionally, you will eventually get metal on metal, and the weight of the door will begin wearing the hinge blocks down.   If sufficient material is lost, the door can sag or drag on the threshold of the door frame (bottom).   If there is a lip, the edge of the door can actually get caught and not open.   
Inspect this area.   If there isn't enough room to slide a piece of paper under the door, it may be caught or binding.

Lift the door slightly to get it off of the frame threshold.   This may allow you to pull it free.

Regardless of the problem, you need to correct the situation so that it does not persist.   

If you still can't get the door to open, it may be time to contact a safe technician from a local safe company.   
NOTE:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally DON'T have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes, and can cause excessive damage or charge exhorbant fees.

Ok, I've given you the basic stuff to check.   If you still can't get it open, then it will require hands on problem solving and/or diagnostics to solve and correct.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)