Antique Safes/Is the safe worth anything

Question
D.matthews and son
D.matthews and son  

Safe
Safe  
Hi  I have had this safe for over a year it was given to me after my grand mother passed away I was just wondering If it was worth anything because I can't find much out with the name on the front

Answer
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your question.

The name on the safe is almost certainly a distributor not the maker.  My best guess is that the safe is an early '12 corner bent' Britannia made by the Guardian Safe & Steel Furniture Company, in Wombourne, West Midlands and probably dates from the 1930's.

It should have provision for anchoring through the base and although it is not a particularly sophisticated safe it does have an anti-explosive relocker so I would expect UK insurers to cover the contents for 3,000 cash or 30,000 domestic valuables provided it is anchored.

It is hard to give it a value.  If you took it to auction you could get 300+ but you have the problem of getting it there and if it doesn't sell, you have to bring it back again.  It looks to be in very good condition for its age and probably would do well on ebay.  It is worth watching a few similar safes to see what they fetch.  Ignore the 'Buy Now' listings as they invariably ask too much and they don't sell.  Make sure you specify, 'buyer collects'.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer