Antique Safes/I just sent you an "expert advise" request..

Question
Hi Andy,

I just sent you a request for expert advise.....on
Underwriters LAboratories Inc antique safe....

PLEASE reply using this email address:

please CANCEL this email address:

It might block you from responding so cancel immediately and use the first address -

thank you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Andy

I came across your webpage while I was desperately searching for a similar model of safe as mine because I must sell my safe (which I recently purchased but must sell asap because I'm moving and cannot take this very heavy safe with me.

I need your expertise in determining its age and value.

It's a safe on wheels marked "Underwriters Laboratories Inc.,
It measures 13 3/4"W X 15"D X 19 3/4"H. On the lock is marked "PROTECTALL Syracuse"

I'm sending several photos for your attention.

Thanks, and I hope I hear from you soon.

Nancy

Answer
Hi Nancy,

Sorry but this isn't my website - I'm just a volunteer here.   For security reasons, any personal information about you such as addresses, phone numbers and email addresses are wiped from the message.   While I can respond to the question, I have no way of emailing back to you.  What I've done is to answer both of your questions, hopefully one will reach you.

My original answer is copied below.

Hi Nancy,

Sorry but your container is NOT an antique safe.   Antique's are considered OVER 100 years old, though collectibles would be over 50 years old.

While this container is over 50 years old, it is not considered a collectible.

I'll start with some basic info about the company.

The Protectall Safe Company was in business from the early 1930's until it was acquired by Mosler safe Company around 1940.    Edward Mosler was appointed to head the company in Syracuse, NY.   He successfully ran the company until Mr. Mosler Sr. decided to close the Syracuse plant and consolidate it into the main Mosler facility in Hamilton, Oh.    Though the Protectall Safe Company was gone, Mosler continued to use the name on several products until the late 1950's.

Your container is one of the latter safes built at Syracuse, built during the late 1940's.

The UL Fire Classification "C", was a "standard" rating, indicating that the safe met the standards for a 1 hour fire resistance rating.   "A" being the highest at 4 hours and "D" being the lowest at 1/2 hour (though generally "D" ratings were reserved for file cabinets).

Basic Values for this container are as follows:

Fire resistance:     $0     does not meet current standards (over 50 years old)
Burglary:          $0     this is NOT a burglary resistive safe - notice it is on wheels!
Resale value:        $0     has no commercial or retail value.   Should not be used for overnight storage of any cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique/collectible: $0     This is not an antique, nor is it considered collectible.

While your container does not meet any of the standards for the above classes, doesn't mean that it is valueless.   It could be used for general purpose storage of documents which have little value, but are necessary and easily replaceable.

If you elect to sell the container its value would be somewhere between $50 to $200 max.

Sorry that the answer isn't better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)