Antique Safes/Victor Cannonball Safe

Question
I am in final stages of the restoration of an early Victor Safe Company, Cannonball Safe.  I have been fortunate and have two nearly complete units, including working time locks.    Unfortunately both Safes are missing the 'Internal Safe or Locking Door'.  I realize this will be a very difficult part to locate.  Can you offer any assistance in the location of a Cannonball Sake Internal Locking Door?

Sam Hatcher

Answer
Sam,

Sorry but the ONLY place you are going to find replacement parts is off of a donor safe, and if you don't already have one, then chances are going to be slim.

So this basically leaves you with two alternatives, leave it the way it is, with the interior compartments open, or fabricate new doors.

If you elect option #2, then you have a second problem.   Fabricating the doors and hinges is not so bad, but I doubt you will find a lock to go on the doors.

In general, locks and similar parts are removed from old safes and go into someone's collection,  or in the case of lock shops and safe companies, into THEIR parts room for THEIR use, and not sale as a regular item.

So, if there are any parts hidden in someone's back room the ONLY way that you are going to gain access is to know exactly what parts you are looking for, and be prepared to part company with serious cash.   At least enough to get their attention long enough to look through boxes of parts.

Unlike the antique car restoration industry, there is no online resource for old safe parts.   The market simply isn't big enough to warrant it.   Most lock and safe companies have no idea what they might have stored in boxes, as they have no inventory of these items.    When THEY need an item, they might dig for it, but if a customer walks in looking, their requests are usually met with laughs.

Sorry, I wish I had a better answer, but the industry is what it is.

The best I can offer, is you are simply going to have to go shop by shop, looking through their old parts.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)