Antique Safes/Wieght of Safe

Hello Terry,

Would you be able to tell the weight of my York Safe  and Lock safe? The decision are as follows:

Main safe
Exterior (excludes wheels)- 51" h x 42" w  x 33" deep
Interior - 36" h x 28" w x 18" d

The interior jewelers safe ;
Exterior 13"h x 27"w x 15"d
Interior 11" h x 27"w x 11"d

Thank you!

Hi Ron,

I assumed that you meant "dimensions" as opposed to "decision", as it made more sense.

There are basically two safes here, the exterior fire resistive, cast iron safe body, and the solid, plate steel, laminated Jewelers Chest.

Without the jewelers chest, I would estimate the weight of the outer safe at around 2800 lbs (probably 2500 to 3000 lbs).

On the jewelers chest, as the interior width cannot equal the exterior width, I have to assume that the steel body is imbedded into the walls of the outer safe by at least 1 to 2 inches.   The basic weight for steel is about 42 lbs per square foot 1" thick, so using your measurements we come up with about 1000 lbs

This would give us a total weight of about 3800 lbs   (possibly 3500 to 4000 lbs)

With the interior and any unknowns, I would round it up to 4500 lbs as a safe weight to work with.
Anyone "moving" your safe, who plans on the safe being this heavy (about 4500 lbs) "SHOULD" have the necessary equipment to move it safely.   If the safe does weigh slightly less, it doesn't matter as you have planned accordingly.

SAFETY NOTE:   When weights get above 500 lbs, most people don't actually have a "concept" of "HEAVY".   Similarly to people not comprehending how deep space is.    And when the weight is above 1000 lbs, it can get deadly, EXTREMELY QUICKLY!    I never recommend ANYONE moving safes over 500 lbs unless they have the correct equipment and understand what they are doing.

Gravity is NOT your friend, and the slightest misstep, can and usually does result in death or severe injuries.   Even professional safe moving companies occasionally have employees who get seriously injured!!!!

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada