Antique Safes/Antique safe ID?

Kevin safe 1
Kevin safe 1  
Kevin safe 2
Kevin safe 2  
QUESTION: I inherited this safe.  It belonged to my grandparents who are both deceased (hence the inheritance).  It's in very good shape, but I suspect it's been repainted on the outside.  I can't find any identifying marks other than the key in the inside lock box marked "Commercial Safety Deposit Co, Chicago" and the numbers "2917" on the dial.

Many more pics available (can only upload 2)

ANSWER: Kevin, sorry for the delay.  I scanned through my collection and did not find a match.  Possibly with a picture of the inside of the door boltwork and the lock, I can ID it.  Doug

kevin safe 3
kevin safe 3  

kevin safe 4
kevin safe 4  
QUESTION: Thanks doug.  I've been having the same problem searching the internet, and not finding a match.  attached is a pic of the dial and the lock mechanism.  The panel that covers the inside of the door is black with a gold trim, but still no painted or stamped name or identifiers.

Odds are it was made by one of the lesser known turn of century Cincinnati makers such as New Era,  Naeher, Fischer or Queen City.  To my knowledge I have never worked on or seen any of these makes, nor does your lock ring a bell.  You could try asking Andy on here.  Also removing the paint on the door carefully to get to the original paint would most likely solve the question.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place