Antique Safes/Antique safe restoration

Safe front
Safe front  

Safe closeup
Safe closeup  
Hi Andy,
I read an old reply, dated 5/16/2011 you sent to a Jason in or near Boston asking about a safe restoration.  Coincidentally, my safe is similar in size if not exact and is a Herring Hall Marvin Safe.  This was my grandfathers safe and I would like to refurbish it.  At the time you told Jason there was a company in New York that does this work.  Do you have the contact info?  Is it possible that you learned of another company nearer to Boston?  Attached are a few photos of the safe.  Thanks.

Hi John,

Sorry, but I don't have names of any one in the Boston area doing safe restorations.   There are maybe 1/2 dozen guys in the country, and we lost one last week.   :(

Note:   The "Boston" listing on your safe, was simply a sales office.   HHM's were manufactured out of Hamilton, Ohio from 1897 until they were acquired by Diebold in 1959, and subsequently closed down.

As far as possible restoration companies, I have a couple names for you, however most of these companies are more interested in selling THEIR restored safes, than working on customer's safes for a couple reasons.
first off - if you buy one of their safes, you take it as is - no questions asked, and you are happy to have it as is.

Secondly - customer's tend to be VERY picky, and don't necessarily "communicate" what they want or expect.   You throw out some ideas, but chances are "what you said, is NOT what they heard".    Unless there is a meeting of the minds - COMPLETELY, what happens is that you show up to pick up your safe, and the picture in your mind of what you want is NOT what you find or expect.
Most artists and restoration specialists don't like commissioned work for this reason.

So what am I trying to impart to you???    "YOU" need to have a REALLY CLEAR picture in your mind of what you want and expect, AND more importantly, don't have ANY work done unless you have signed off on the art work proposed.

You might try the following companies or individuals:

Precision Lock & Safe
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY   11001     Elaad Israili

112 Newtown Road
Plainview, NY   11803          Neal Krazalowski

Matt's Antique Safe Restoration
Ashland, Ohio
Matt Lamborn

Out of the three above, Matt is possibly the more dedicated, as he is a painter and does this type of work all of the time.
the other two companies are actual safe companies, and they do have a lot of other work all the time, which means that YOUR restoration job, will take a back seat to other jobs.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but hopefully this will help you out.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada