Antique Safes/Antique safe restoration

Question
Safe front
Safe front  

Safe closeup
Safe closeup  
Hi Andy,
I read an old reply, dated 5/16/2011 you sent to a Jason in or near Boston asking about a safe restoration.  Coincidentally, my safe is similar in size if not exact and is a Herring Hall Marvin Safe.  This was my grandfathers safe and I would like to refurbish it.  At the time you told Jason there was a company in New York that does this work.  Do you have the contact info?  Is it possible that you learned of another company nearer to Boston?  Attached are a few photos of the safe.  Thanks.

John

Answer
Hi John,

Sorry, but I don't have names of any one in the Boston area doing safe restorations.   There are maybe 1/2 dozen guys in the country, and we lost one last week.   :(

Note:   The "Boston" listing on your safe, was simply a sales office.   HHM's were manufactured out of Hamilton, Ohio from 1897 until they were acquired by Diebold in 1959, and subsequently closed down.

As far as possible restoration companies, I have a couple names for you, however most of these companies are more interested in selling THEIR restored safes, than working on customer's safes for a couple reasons.
first off - if you buy one of their safes, you take it as is - no questions asked, and you are happy to have it as is.

Secondly - customer's tend to be VERY picky, and don't necessarily "communicate" what they want or expect.   You throw out some ideas, but chances are "what you said, is NOT what they heard".    Unless there is a meeting of the minds - COMPLETELY, what happens is that you show up to pick up your safe, and the picture in your mind of what you want is NOT what you find or expect.
Most artists and restoration specialists don't like commissioned work for this reason.

So what am I trying to impart to you???    "YOU" need to have a REALLY CLEAR picture in your mind of what you want and expect, AND more importantly, don't have ANY work done unless you have signed off on the art work proposed.

You might try the following companies or individuals:

Precision Lock & Safe
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY   11001
precisionsafe@gmail.com     Elaad Israili
516-616-0854

Accusafes
112 Newtown Road
Plainview, NY   11803
www.accusafes.com          Neal Krazalowski
516-752-3893

Matt's Antique Safe Restoration
Ashland, Ohio
gosigns@neo.rr.com
419-606-3168
Matt Lamborn

Out of the three above, Matt is possibly the more dedicated, as he is a painter and does this type of work all of the time.
the other two companies are actual safe companies, and they do have a lot of other work all the time, which means that YOUR restoration job, will take a back seat to other jobs.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, but hopefully this will help you out.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)