Antique Safes/Change Combination

Question
We have an old Globe-Wernicke safe that we use for documents. We are in a situation where we need to change the combination. I have searched online and cannot find the steps to perform (I am used to locks that change the combination with a 'change lock' key but this safe doesn't have a keyhole on the inside of the door). Do you have a list of procedures to change a lock combination on this safe?    Thank you.

Answer
Lew,

Globe-Wernicke used a couple different locks on their safes, from Eagle Lock and from Yale Lock.   Both of these are hand change which require almost complete disassembly to reset or change the combination.

I never recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in a very expensive lockout.

While I do have some sets of instructions, I would need to know WHAT lock you are dealing with.   If you don't know the model number then I will possibly need photos.   Also, before providing any instructions, I have a hold harmless form that you will need to sign.   Basically it states that you assume all responsibility for any work you do on the safe, and we have no liability for your use or misuse of the instructions.

My recommendation though, would be for you to contact a local safe company to have them reset the combination and service the lock correctly, to ensure that you don't have any problems with its operation.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

If you elect to try this yourself, I will need you to send me an email request along with photos of the dial and lock to:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)