Antique Safes/How to clear and dial in combination

Question
Coffee County Senior Citizens has a York Safe, Spec. B-1, one of the numbers is Y25711 and there is another number 4.  I think we have the combination but I can't seem to open the safe.  It has two lines, I guess for starting points.  One line is top dead center and the other is approximate. 3/4 inch to the left.  How do I clear it so I can start the combination again and which line do I use. When I am turning left or right do I always use 0 as the starting point for each direction of turns or do I use the last number I stopped on.

Answer
Paul,

There is no "starting point" - kind of like telling someone to stand in the corner of a round room - it doesn't exist.

If "YOU" need a starting point, it is for YOUR benefit, and not the  locks.

The line at 11 o'clock is a service index line, the one at 12 o'clock is the combination dialing index.

If your dialing sequence is LRLR, you would dial your combination as:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

If your sequence is RLRL, then simply reverse the directions above.
Note:  Left is counter clockwise, and right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance if your first number is 50, simply start dialing counter clockwise stopping the fourth time your first number (in this case 50) arrives at the index mark.   Again, you are NOT counting revolutions,  simply turn left and count 50 once, 50 twice 50 three times, stopping when 50 arrives the fourth time.

Forget zero as this is simply confusing you.

There is only ONE clearing.   When you locked the lock after your last access, you should have spun the dial off at least four times.   The lock is cleared from your last dialing.   NO amount of additional dialing will clear (or scramble) the wheels further.

If you make a mistake during your dialing attempt, simply begin the sequence again as I've indicated.

Keep it simple - don't add any other items into the dialing sequence.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)