Antique Safes/Halls Safe.

I have a double door Halls Safe, patent date April 3rd 1909. I am needing a lock for the outside set of doors. The lock that was on it was drilled out a while back and now there is no wheel pack on it. The dial is there, but it will not lock without the wheel pack. Do you know where I would be able to find such a thing?

Good luck with that!!!    This is one of the reasons that I really caution people concerning using a skilled, proficient safe technician to open the safe.   Any one who destroys a lock opening an old safe like yours should NEVER be used.    This would be just like taking your car in for an oil change and having the mechanic tell you "yes I can change the oil, but I'm going to ruin the engine doing it"!!!   You wouldn't use that mechanic, yet I'm truly amazed that people will allow a locksmith or even a safe technician to work on a safe under the same circumstances.

Where are the missing parts to the lock????   If the locksmith took them, what are your chances for getting them back???

While the safe may have a 1909 patent date, that was the "ISSUE" date of the patent and NOT the manufacturing date of your safe.  Your safe could have been made any time up to the mid 1920's.

Ok, back to the lock.   I WILL need to see what ever is left of the lock, so that I can determine what lock was installed, to offer a solution.    I'll need photos of the dial, safe, lock and bolt work areas.    Please provide jpeg type files with at least 1mb of resolution.

Send the photos to me at:

Lets ID what you have and go from there.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada