Antique Safes/Keys

I have the same Antique Bank Supply Company safe deposit boxes from Indianapolis, as pictured above. Is the company still in business? Is it possible to get keys from the manufacturer?

ANSWER: Daniel,

I've never heard of a company named "Antique Bank Supply Co", so I can't answer the question about whether or not they are still in business - though if they are using the name "Antique", it doesn't sound to me like they are a manufacturer - more than likely they simply sell "used stuff".

Manufacturers don't provide replacement keys to ANY safe deposit boxes.  You would have to have new keys cut to match your locks, or  new keys generated and the lock rekeyed.

As far as availablity, you haven't given me any info about the locks to work from.    And yes there is a big difference between the "lock" manufacturer and the "box/container" manufacturer.

There are over 400 different types of safe deposit box locks, so identification is imperative.   Many of these older locks are no longer available, but that doesn't mean that keys can't be cut for the locks.

Next question would be how many locks do you need keys made for???

If you can't answer some of the above questions, then I will need photos of the lock (front & back) as well as any operating keys that you do have.

It is probably better to send the photos and request directly to me so that I can respond.   Also, I'll need to know where you and the locks are interested, so if necessary I can point you towards a company that can help you.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Sorry it's American Bank Supply Company out of Indianapolis

to my knowlege this company hasn't been in business since the early 1900's.   I don't have a date that they went OOB, but they didn't last through the beginning of the Great Depression, so possibly 1924 at the very latest.   Dates of operation that I have listed are 1906-1924, so "yes" they are out of business.

As far as making keys - my original answer still hasn't changed.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada