Antique Safes/Old safe

Question
I have and old safe with an unknown combo.  The only id on the whole thing is a number on the knob you twist to open the door 80241 but im trying to find info on getting into the darn thing

Answer
Brian,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to try to help determine what you have, which IS the first step to getting it open.   While manufacturers NEVER published info concerning the safes or the combinations that were set on them, for obvious security and liability reasons, we still need to determine what you might have to come up with a plan to open it.

Once we've ID'd the safe, you will possibly have two options for opening it, first - to try all the possible combinations to get it open, or second to contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open it for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

While I understand that you will not be able to obtain photos of the inside of the safe while it is locked up, this gives you an idea of the number of photos that is sometimes necessary to actually ID the safe.   Get me the photos that you can.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)