Antique Safes/How to open my safe

Question
I have inherited and old safe when I purchased an old home from the late 1800's.  Outside is an old floor safe which I believe to be a Macneale & Urban floor safe from the 1860's or 1870's.  It is missing the tumbler dial and turn knob.  Appears someone has tried to break into it in the past by trying to use a pry bar on the hinge side as well as bust through the steel and concrete on top.  My question is....is there a way to open the safe without destroying it completely?  I have considering drilling in from the top but there is no guarantee I will be able to see what is inside.  I do not have pictures with me as it is a few hours away but it looks exactly like the macneale & urban from another post on this site that had alphabetic dial.

Answer
Tad,

Sounds like it is possibly already destroyed.  

First a simple truth about safes - people never abandon a safe with "stuff" left inside, with the exception of a death of an owner, but generally the families want them opened.   Abandoned safes are usually abandoned, empty, because they are too big to move easily.

As far as opening the safe with out too much further damage, you will need the help of a trained safe technician.   You have a lot of problems which need to be overcome.   First the lock needs to be opened or bypassed.  Secondly, you need the door bolt work retracted, and third you need the doors opened.   Each item may have specific problems or issues, depending on the amount of damage already done, and the condition of the container.   Rust can easily seize the doors, bolt work and lock.

So basically if you elect this as a DIY project, then continued destruction is your option.   If you want much less damage, then you will need someone who is familiar with this type of safe, and has the tools to work on it.

sorry I can't be of more help, but this is going to be a hands on project.    Best I can offer, is if you don't have a local safe company you can use, let me know where the safe is located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)