Antique Safes/S & G double door safe

S & G Safe
S & G Safe  
I was wondering if you can give me any more information about this safe? The only info. I have is the following: S & G safe markings on the combo dials and is 20w x 18d x 31h. It was used back in the 1960's by my step-father and he was told it was a bank safe. It has double doors with a 4 times left, 3 times right, 2 times left and 1 time right combo. It is extremely heavy. I could take more photos if need be for a value. Thanks in advance for any information you might have.

The "S&G" logo is for the lock and dial ONLY.   Sargent & Greenleaf have been selling locks to safe manufacturers for over 150 years now.

I'm not sure WHAT info you are looking for about the safe, so you will need to be more specific.

Unfortunately I can't tell anything about a possible manufacturer from your small photo - sorry.

This particular container, only appears to meet the MINIMUM burglary rating  (UL-B rating).   It has no fire resistance at all.   While this may have been used by a bank, it is NOT a bank safe.    If it was used to store cash, it would have been kept inside of a vault as it does not provide adequate protection for overnight cash storage other wise.

Current Value:
Fire resistive:     $0     this is not a fire resistive container.
Burglary:          $150 to $200    Obsolete safe, parts are not available for it.
Resale:          $150 to $200    Has no commercial value, though it still meets basic requirements.
Antique/collectible:  $0     This is neither collectible or antique.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada