Antique Safes/Silas C Herring Maker Safe

Question
img_3267
img_3267  
Recently purchased a building with a locked safe inside and no available key. At the top front of the safe there is an emblem - Silas C Herring Maker. There is a handle in the middle of the door which is hanging loosely. This handle is covering where the keyhole is.

Is there a way to get a key or is the only alternative to drill it open?

Answer
George,

as this company has been out of business for around 122 years, replacement keys are NOT going to be available.   One will have to be hand fabricated for your safe lock.

If the safe is locked up, then it will need to be opened.   While drilling is an option, the lock can be picked by someone familiar with this type of safe.   Problem is there are simply fewer and fewer trained safe technicians in antique safes available.

I would recommend that you check with a local safe company (NOT a locksmith) to discuss this project with them.   Make sure that you are really happy with their solutions before having them work on your safe.

You wouldn't take your car to a mechanic who indicated that "he can change the oil, but will ruin the engine in the process", and so you shouldn't accept similar work from a safe company.

if you can't find or don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)