Antique Safes/Victor Safe, patent date on dial Oct.2.88

I have just gotten a family Victor Safe with the patent date on the combination dial of Oct.2.88.  The safe was open when I got it.  Since it was so heavy, the door was removed to help move the safe.  When I turned the combination dial (with the door still off of the safe), I heard a click and the pins moved to lock the safe.  I have the combination, but I still can't open it.  It is a 3 number combination.  Do you have any suggestions?  And do you know how old it might be?  It has a picture of a tree on it above  the lock.  It says "Victor Safe & Lock Co  Cincinnati O" at the bottom of the door.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Becky,

Victor Safe & Lock Co., safes with this patent date, were built up until the early 1900's.   They were found with both 60 and 100 number dials.   In general the 60 number dials were a two wheel lock, while the 100 number dials were three wheel locks, though the 100 number dials could also have a two wheel lock.   The dialing sequence for the two wheel lock is as follows:

3 times Right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right until the dial stops (possibly your third number).

For the three wheel lock, the dialing sequence would be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops

Note left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  Don't count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Luckily as long as the door is open, the combination can be recovered or reset.   If you still can't get it operational, you may need a safe technician from a local safe company to look at it for you.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada