Antique Safes/York Safe & Lock Company Safe

Inside of front door
Inside of front door  
Safe was in closet of in-laws house we were cleaning out.  Wondering about age and if you know of someone who could do a restoration ... It's a beautiful old safe ... have more pics if you need them ... not so much worried about value as I have no intention of getting rid of it.

Hi Nick,

While the York Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1882, it fell into a "managerial crises" after the death of S. Forry Laucks, the President of the company, in 1942.   As there were numerous important Military contracts (WWII) at stake, the US Navy took control of the company, having Blaw-Knox manage the company, until controlling ownership was acquired by Diebold in 1945.   Diebold continued the company and label, until 1959 when it closed down the factory, ending the York name.

Your safe is from the latter years (late 1940's or 50's).   As far as restoration work goes, your safe is pretty much the same colors as it left the factory in.   I'm not sure what your intentions towards "restoration" are, but cost wise you would be ahead if you made this a DIY project.
You didn't provide any photos of the inside of the container, but I would have to guess that they are metal shelves and/or compartments.   If you wanted to make it a nicer container, I would remove these and install some really nice wooden cabinetry.

You would have to let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zipcode), so I could see who I might know in your area to recommend.   Unfortunately, there are only a half dozen or so companies in the US doing restoration type work at this time - so you may have to travel some distance to take your safe to them.

hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada