Antique Safes/1871 patended "herrings champion" vintage floor safe

Question
Well first of all, Thank you for being available to assist in helping answer questions i have pertaining to a safe found in an old building located on some property my boss purchased some time ago. The safe i believe was owned by a Col. E. E. Holland, which i believe had a town, highway and secondary rd. named after him. There is some documentation linked to him and the safe available. Was wondering if you could, or would be interested in helping me and my boss find, if any historical value pertaining to this particular item. Also there is an old desk i believe is from the same time period or earlier with it. The vintage safe was made for him in particular because it has his name on the front of it placed there i am assuming at the time it was purchased. It seems to have been through a fire at some time because the outer shell looks as if it were burnt at some point. If you would be so gracious to return my e-mail it would be highly appreciated,. Once again thank you for taking the time to review this message. Sincerely, Joseph

Answer
Joseph, although it is certainly possible that the safe was special ordered by Holland, it was common practice by many makers to put the buyers name at the top of the safe in the latter 1800's. Provenance of the safe is pretty well established any way. I doubt I could of any help to you at all, other than directing you to the Historical Society of the State of Virginia.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen