Antique Safes/1947 Mosler

Question
Hello,
         I have a 1947 Mosler chest safe. It was originally made for United States postal Service. I have a few questions. I was wondering if the designs and wording was done in gold leaf bacjk then? Wondering if you know of anyone that has or can make the old Mosler vinyl sticker logo and I also had to make a new handle shaft that goes through the safe door and connects handle and bolt cam. I made an extra one and will sell it or trade.. I can send pictures of safe, stickers and locking bolts etc. if you need more info.. I'm currently repainting this safe and trying to get it original looking as I can.  Thanks Stve

Answer
Hi Steve,

Your safe was NOT made FOR the US Postal Service, they simply purchased it, and then painted their name on it.    Nothing was specifically made for them, in fact they generally bought locally - what ever was available, until the late 1960s when GSA (General Services Admin) took over for the US government.

Unfortunately as Mosler has been out of business for 14 years, there are no sources for original decals or emblems.   You will need to go to a local graphics sign shop (they are everywhere), to have them made up.    You will need a good digital photo of your photo to have them duplicated.

As for the "gold leaf" - this simply wasn't used except in really rare cases.   Generally this was simply a yellow paint, covered over with varnish to protect the paint.   After several years the varnish would take on its own yellowish tint, and even craze (cracking) slightly, which may give the yellow paint a "gold leaf" appearance, but I can guarantee you that your's was not actual gold leaf.
If however you wish to have the added expense during restoration, it won't hurt the value at all, just make sure that you document everything, as without paper work - NOTHING is what it appears.

As far as parts, etc.   I have a machine shop available, and make up parts and pieces as necessary, but thanks for offering.

I would be happy to see your safe after you finish your restoration work.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)