Antique Safes/1947 Mosler

I have a 1947 Mosler chest safe. It was originally made for United States postal Service. I have a few questions. I was wondering if the designs and wording was done in gold leaf bacjk then? Wondering if you know of anyone that has or can make the old Mosler vinyl sticker logo and I also had to make a new handle shaft that goes through the safe door and connects handle and bolt cam. I made an extra one and will sell it or trade.. I can send pictures of safe, stickers and locking bolts etc. if you need more info.. I'm currently repainting this safe and trying to get it original looking as I can.  Thanks Stve

Hi Steve,

Your safe was NOT made FOR the US Postal Service, they simply purchased it, and then painted their name on it.    Nothing was specifically made for them, in fact they generally bought locally - what ever was available, until the late 1960s when GSA (General Services Admin) took over for the US government.

Unfortunately as Mosler has been out of business for 14 years, there are no sources for original decals or emblems.   You will need to go to a local graphics sign shop (they are everywhere), to have them made up.    You will need a good digital photo of your photo to have them duplicated.

As for the "gold leaf" - this simply wasn't used except in really rare cases.   Generally this was simply a yellow paint, covered over with varnish to protect the paint.   After several years the varnish would take on its own yellowish tint, and even craze (cracking) slightly, which may give the yellow paint a "gold leaf" appearance, but I can guarantee you that your's was not actual gold leaf.
If however you wish to have the added expense during restoration, it won't hurt the value at all, just make sure that you document everything, as without paper work - NOTHING is what it appears.

As far as parts, etc.   I have a machine shop available, and make up parts and pieces as necessary, but thanks for offering.

I would be happy to see your safe after you finish your restoration work.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada