Antique Safes/The general fireproofing company question

Lock box picture
Lock box picture  
I recently acquired a lock box or safe of some sort and I'm trying to get information on it, it's 24" tall x 14" wide and 11" deep, it has a skeleton key and a rolling door on it when u turn the key then u slide the door up to open it, around the key hole says allsteel the general fireproofing company, the lock box is a army flat green color, have you ever seen a safe or cabinet like this, thanks

Hi Zakk,

The General Fireproofing Company made metal "OFFICE" equipment which also had insulation from fire.   You have to remember that during the late 1800's through the mid 1900's the BIGGEST problem facing most cities and businesses was fire and NOT burglary or theft.
All Steel, was simply a brand of office equipment manufactured by the General Fireproofing Company.

Chances are if your building caught fire, by the time that the volunteers got their equipment and finally arrived, they were more worried about keeping the block - or the city from burning to the ground.   the only way that businesses could recover was by having equipment that could resist heat, and protect documents.

While this company did manufacturer a small line of safes between 1912 to around 1940, the majority of their items - similar to your container - were simply for various types of document storage or presentation.    This company was also known to use asbestos as an insulation media.

As far as it's color - this doesn't mean that it was in use by the military - though it also doesn't rule it out, as this was their standard color for the majority of their equipment.

As this container is NOT a safe, and is considered office equipment, isn't something that I would normally look for or at, and does fall outside of my area of expertise.    The information that I can present merely has to do with the company itself, and not this item.

While it is an interesting item, it isn't something that I have any further info concerning.   Hopefully I've been able to at least provide a little more history.   Good luck in your search.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada