Antique Safes/The general fireproofing company question

Question
Lock box picture
Lock box picture  
I recently acquired a lock box or safe of some sort and I'm trying to get information on it, it's 24" tall x 14" wide and 11" deep, it has a skeleton key and a rolling door on it when u turn the key then u slide the door up to open it, around the key hole says allsteel the general fireproofing company, the lock box is a army flat green color, have you ever seen a safe or cabinet like this, thanks

Answer
Hi Zakk,

The General Fireproofing Company made metal "OFFICE" equipment which also had insulation from fire.   You have to remember that during the late 1800's through the mid 1900's the BIGGEST problem facing most cities and businesses was fire and NOT burglary or theft.
All Steel, was simply a brand of office equipment manufactured by the General Fireproofing Company.

Chances are if your building caught fire, by the time that the volunteers got their equipment and finally arrived, they were more worried about keeping the block - or the city from burning to the ground.   the only way that businesses could recover was by having equipment that could resist heat, and protect documents.

While this company did manufacturer a small line of safes between 1912 to around 1940, the majority of their items - similar to your container - were simply for various types of document storage or presentation.    This company was also known to use asbestos as an insulation media.

As far as it's color - this doesn't mean that it was in use by the military - though it also doesn't rule it out, as this was their standard color for the majority of their equipment.

As this container is NOT a safe, and is considered office equipment, isn't something that I would normally look for or at, and does fall outside of my area of expertise.    The information that I can present merely has to do with the company itself, and not this item.

While it is an interesting item, it isn't something that I have any further info concerning.   Hopefully I've been able to at least provide a little more history.   Good luck in your search.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)