Antique Safes/herring hall marvin vault door

Question
vault door
vault door  
I recently acquired this vault door from a remodeling project, from what I read on you're other posts it sounds like this has a possible manufacture date of 1890 to early 1900's. I know that there are people out there that would benefit the use of this door rather than myself. With that being said could you possibly point me in a direction towards finding a potential buyer? The door works great, I have the combo, the only negative I have is that the door face has been painted over, which I'm sure with a little patients and elbow grease this can be solved. I can provide more detailed photos to you're e-mail if needed for a proper value assessment. Thank you for you're time and look forward to hearing from you

Answer
Hi George,

I would be more than happy to look at your door to determine what you actually have and about when it was made.    If it has the HHM logo then it can't have been made prior to 1892, however between 1892 to mid 1897, HHM safes and doors were still being made at the original factories   They didn't move into, and consolidate manufacturing until mid 1897, in Hamilton, OH.

As far as value - installed vault doors don't have any resale value unless they have been removed, cleaned and are ready for the next owner - regardless of the condition that you believe it to be in.

As for the paint - don't attempt to remove it before sending me the photos as it may be original.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your door, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your door.  If your door has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your door.
If the door has any historical significance - removing it from the building it is in will lose this reference and any attached value.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your door.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)