Antique Safes/J. Baum Safe (late 1800's or early 1900's)

Question
Hello,

I live in southeast Georgia near Jacksonville, FL, and I need to hire someone to open my newly inherited J. Baum safe (Cincinnati).  The dial seems to be working fine.  Do locksmiths still do this sort of thing?  I want to use it again, and I would like to learn the fire rating for this safe, also.

I would appreciate any information or guidance from you.

Thank you,
Susan Beckner

Answer
Susan, you should be able to find someone in Jacksonville that does safe work on a regular basis.  Check for a shop that offers manipulation. That is not to say you safe will be opened that way but it is preferred when possible.  A professional drilling job will also leave you with a working safe.  It is commonly accepted in the trade that fire safes over 50 years old are no longer adequate.  I do not necessarily agree with this belief in many cases. Depends on the safe, the condition of the insulation, the environment in which the safe is located and what the safe is protecting.  But if fire protection is of major concern, data safes can sometimes be found in larger cities for very reasonable prices.  These are the best you can buy and were very expensive when new.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen