Antique Safes/A key

Question
Hi, I found a key with the things from my Great Grand Father ,He was Charles William Andrews . He lived in Brooklyn ,NY . The key has marks on it  .  J M Mossman New York with the  number 102 at the top all on one side .  Would like to know more about the key . Thank you

Answer
Deborah,

While I can't tell you anything about the key or what lock it might go to, I can give you a brief history on J.M. Mossman - courtesy of "American Genius - Nineteenth century bank locks and time locks" by John & David Erroll

John Malcolm Mossman was born on June 9th, 1846, at 386 Greenwich Street in New York City, the eldest of the seven children of Malcolm Mossman and Christina A. Watson, who had both emigrated from Edinburgh, Scotland.
Always industrious and hardworking, Mossman left school at the age of twelve to work with his father, who had recently established a safe and lock business.  Malcolm Mossman had been a foreman for the well known safe maker Silas Herring, but two years later, in 1860, Malcolm Mossman died, age 45.  John Mossman and his mother maintained the newly formed business for five trying years, until agreeing to combine with another well known safe maker - William Terwilliger.   Shortly after, John was sent to the Chicago Works of Terwilliger & Co., and at the age of nineteen he was made foreman over two hundred workmen.   When Terwilliger & Co., failed in 1876, young John returned to New York and found a business partner in Ira L. Cady, founding Cady & Mossman in 1877.   Cady died in 1878 and Mossman continued alone, later bringing his brother William into the business.   Mossman's business grew and soon included not only the buying and selling of safes, but also the sales, installation, cleaning and care of the most complicated combination and time locks on bank safes and vaults throughout New York City.
Over the years, John Mossman parlayed his engaging personality, business acumen, and expertise in his field into a national following among bankers and bank architects.    Gradually he devoted an increasing portion of his time to the design and oversight of burglar and fireproof bank vaults and safe deposit vaults.   By the late 1880's his was considered the last word in such matters, and Mossman was overseeing projects for the largest banks and most important architects throughout the United States, including the Treasury Department, as well as numerous institutions in Europe.
John retired in 1906, and divided his business into two parts, one to handle the sales of office and bank safes and the other to handle time lock maintenance contracts.   Mossman turned over his safe sales business and its offices to the York Safe & Lock Company, but retained the time lock business forming the "J.M. Mossman Company, with Thomas F. Keating.
On March 6th, 1912, John Mossman died from a sudden onset of typhoid fever.

So chances are, if your key has the name "J.M. Mossman, New York", it could possibly be from something that was made or sold by his company between the 1906 to 1912 dates.

Sorry I can't tell you WHAT the key actually goes to, but my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree.

Hope this gives you some history and info, and as the late Paul Harvey would say - "And NOW, you know the rest of the story".

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)