Antique Safes/locked safe

Question
Hi Andy,  Have a Herring-Hall Marvin Safe, on door also written
SM Meeker, in gold lettering.
1. How can I open the safe? (I'm located in NYC)
2. Is there market (to sell)an old safe?
 a)what would the value be??
 b)is there a dealer who specializes in safes?
 c) how can I determine the safe's age?
I can send you a photo at a later date if needed.
Thank you for your expertise, Judy

Answer
Hi Judy,

The "SM Meeker" could either be a distributor or a past owner of the safe.

1.  If you don't have the combination, then your options are limited to testing all of the possible combinations for the lock (at least 1,000,000) or having a safe technician open it for you.

2.  There is always a market for every thing - remember the internet story of the guy who traded up from a red paper clip to a house???
http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/p/one-red-paperclip-project.html

who, when, where, and how you can sell it depend on you.   Its all about advertising.

2.a.  Value???    At present - while it is locked up, it has a negative value - that being the cost to have it opened, repaired, combo recovered, etc.

2.b.  Dealer specializing in safes???   You need to be more specific.   If you are looking for someone to open your safe, then I would recommend your contacting the following:

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0854          Elaad & Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001

not only can they open it but they specialize in antique safes, so they can assist in any repairs or restoration work.   They should also be able to "age" it.

2.c.   I would need to see photos of your safe - a bunch of good photos - to answer questions concerning the container, and possibly when it was made.   If Elaad & Dov can't answer your questions, you can contact me at a later date, and I'll send you the photos that I'll need to try to answer any questions you have.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)