Antique Safes/locked safe

Hi Andy,  Have a Herring-Hall Marvin Safe, on door also written
SM Meeker, in gold lettering.
1. How can I open the safe? (I'm located in NYC)
2. Is there market (to sell)an old safe?
 a)what would the value be??
 b)is there a dealer who specializes in safes?
 c) how can I determine the safe's age?
I can send you a photo at a later date if needed.
Thank you for your expertise, Judy

Hi Judy,

The "SM Meeker" could either be a distributor or a past owner of the safe.

1.  If you don't have the combination, then your options are limited to testing all of the possible combinations for the lock (at least 1,000,000) or having a safe technician open it for you.

2.  There is always a market for every thing - remember the internet story of the guy who traded up from a red paper clip to a house???

who, when, where, and how you can sell it depend on you.   Its all about advertising.

2.a.  Value???    At present - while it is locked up, it has a negative value - that being the cost to have it opened, repaired, combo recovered, etc.

2.b.  Dealer specializing in safes???   You need to be more specific.   If you are looking for someone to open your safe, then I would recommend your contacting the following:

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0854          Elaad & Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001

not only can they open it but they specialize in antique safes, so they can assist in any repairs or restoration work.   They should also be able to "age" it.

2.c.   I would need to see photos of your safe - a bunch of good photos - to answer questions concerning the container, and possibly when it was made.   If Elaad & Dov can't answer your questions, you can contact me at a later date, and I'll send you the photos that I'll need to try to answer any questions you have.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada