Antique Safes/macneal urban safe

Question
I wrote some time back about info on the safe we have and would like to restore it the best we can.  I need to have an email address to send some photos to so that you can better help us.  The safe was painted all black over early stencils, etc.  I have uncovered the originals the best I can but did not know if you have files or catalog info that might show what these designs would have been.  Also, is the 'roping' design around the edge something that would have been originally gold leaf or gold paint.   Thank you.   Muriel

Answer
Hi Muriel,

While I do have a lot of photos, most of the MacNeale & Urban safes each had an original paint job.   Some were similar, but even pin stripping and art changed from safe to safe.   Unfortunately there are very few catalogs available - no one saved thes kinds of items, and generally the catalogs showed "plain Jane" type samples and not the Picasso type paintings that some of the safes had.

As far as "gold leaf" on safes, with few exceptions, generally very special orders, safes did NOT have gold leaf.   Just as it is now - Gold was very expensive over 100 years ago also.

Usually the paint was a yellow color similar to gold.   The art work was then protected with one or two layers of varnish to protect the paint.    Over the years the varnish hardens, yellows and even exhibits crazing (small cracks), which can give the paint a goldish look.

send me some photos of your safe to:   andy@securitysafeusa.com    I would be happy to look at it for you.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)