Antique Safes/Major safe model # 2020

Question
I am interested in value of Major safe/vault; model# 2020 serial # 218173. Any information would be appreciated. Is there a secret to opening? How to open if no combination available?

Answer
Hi Gloria,

If the container is locked up and you don't have a combination, then the value is going to be a "negative" amount - that being the cost to have it opened, repaired and the combo recovered.

Unfortunately the manufacturer does not have any records pre-dating serial number 370940 - which would include yours.

As far as "is there a secret to opening"?   Yes, it would be called the combination!    If you don't have a combo, then opening it is going to be difficult.

If you do have a combination (numbers), but you don't know how to dial it - the dialing sequence is as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90-95).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   There is no starting point, simply start dialing.

For instance if your first number is 50, you would start dialing counter clockwise, noting each time the number 50 arrives at the index mark, stopping the fourth time it arrives - or left to 50 once, 50 twice, 50 three times, stopping on 50 the fourth time.

Hope this helps, if you don't have a combo then you will need to have a safe technician from a local safe company open the safe for you.   Cost could be in the $350 to $500 range to have it opened and operable afterwards.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)