Antique Safes/old bank safe

Question
safe door 2 opening
safe door 2 opening  

safe doors closed
safe doors closed  
I have an old bank safe that has a closet built around it in an old building I have owned for 15 years.  Am considering selling the building and need to know value, history, etc. of the safe.  Don't want to sell with the building if it is worth more on its own.  Safe is almost identical to a catalog image we found of an Ely-Norris Patented Manard Manganese Steel Bank Safe enclosed in "York" spherical fire-proof safe. Has 3 sets of doors.  exterior doors are 36" diameter.  depth of unit is 42"+, overall height with anvil style base is about 6.  I have the combinations and all work.  Mainly looking for value and possibly a buyer.

Thank You!

Answer
Hi Doug,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe - however you will have to advertise to find a buyer.    Unfortunately safes like this take a special buyer, because of the size and weight.

After looking at your photos, I would be more inclinded to think that this is from the Victor Safe & Lock Company.   They had a very similar unit called a "Fire & Mob Proof Safe".   The interior chest (from what I can see in your photos" also looks more like a Victor Screw Door, than a York or Ely Norris, which tended to be a "lug type" door.

Send me the link to the image of the safe you are referring to so that I can take a look.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)