Antique Safes/Safe Identification - Sargent & Greenleaf

Question
Side Sticker
Side Sticker  

Instructions
Instructions  
We recently moved into a house with a floor safe that i would like to identify and have a cash value rating to see if it would be acceptable to insurance companies.  It is a three code combination dial.  The safe is a Sargent & Greenleaf, INC.  I belive it was installed in about 1985 though the instructions suggest it was available from 1977 which also help narrow it down to one of 8 models.  There is a sticker on inside which as far as i can see is the only identifying feature.  I would be grateful for any assistance in how to identify the model and gain a cash value rating.

Many thanks.

Answer
Christian,

Generally insurance companies don't request ratings unless you are insuring large dollar values of valuables, jewelry, etc. and then "THEY" will dictate the rating that THEY will require, based on the RISK that THEY are willing to maintain.

Safes which are built in to floors generally to not have ratings which apply to "RISKS" insurance companies are willing to except.

Having an installed safe in your house, MAY make you eligible for a "discount" in your insurance, but it would NOT be a rating that they would require.

Generally safes built into the floor are "BASIC" burglary resistance - meaning MINIMUM resistance, in that the safe can not "walk away", however because of the limits in the size, weight and protection level of the door, these containers, again, barely meet minimum standards.

As far as the information that you have provided - you haven't given me ANY information about the safe - ONLY the lock, which could be installed on any of 10,000 types of safes - so I have no idea of whether this is on a wooden cabinet or the space shuttle.

So at this point I have TWO recommendations for you -

FIRST:   contact your insurance company to discuss the "VALUABLES" that YOU are interested in storing or insuring, so that THEY can assign the "RISK" that THEY are willing to accept, and so, tell you WHAT the MINIMUM level of protection that THEY will require for this policy to be enforce.

SECOND:   Send me photos of the safe  so that I can see exactly what you have, to determine what standards the container might meet.   In order to do this I will need photos of the exterior of the safe, the interior of the safe, the thickness of the door, and ALL labels on the door.   You might as well include the photos of the lock that you have placed here, as by the time I see your email I will have forgotten this question.

Send the photos along with your request to my email at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com, and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Note:   I have capitalized various words above for dramatic effect and to emphasize concepts.   this is one of those times where what YOU want may not matter, as the insurance company will be the dictating force above.    Some of the statements may not be what YOU want to hear, however just like in life, you don't get to make the rules up, you just get to play the game.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)