Antique Safes/safe plate id

plate cleaned up
plate cleaned up  
Any help with the possible use or origin of this piece would be much appreciated.
4hx 2 w x 1/16th thick gilt or gold leaf on brass. The number 12 is stamped into the back. Three copper rivets held it to something else, furniture, house, safe..?
Its had over 700 hits on other forum, I sent pick of it to the fellow at Heraldica, and the people at The College of Arms, no clue
found in Pa

Hi Joel,

this isn't a safe plaque.   If it was it would have the name of the safe company on it.

PROBLEM:   ANY company, throughout the UK (or possibly other European countries), that wanted to indicate that they were an authorized manufacturer of items for the royal family would have a "warrant or patent" to use the crest.    All of the items that they manufactured would have the crest, either as a plaque or a decal emblem.

Having a crest with no name on it - jumps out to me as a possible fake.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of companies that want to sell stuff (furniture, etc.), as something more than it actually is.    And as there are a lot of people who would jump at the chance of having the same foot stool that the Queen sits on, but at 1/100th the price - they would buy it, without out checking for ANY documentation.

Without more info - and based on the photos that you have provided, I have to guess that it is possibly a fake.

My recommendation would be to continue researching to find out more about it.   But without having a name, and having it removed off of what ever it was affixed to, chances are you will never find out.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada