Antique Safes/Van Dorn Safe

Question
Front of safe
Front of safe  

tag
tag  
I was recently given this safe. Looking for any information you could possibly give me about it. I don't have the combination for it. Seeing if you could recommend a safe technician in the New Orleans, LA area.

Answer
Hi Michael,

There have been a lot of companies selling "office equipment" during the 1920's through the 1960's, during which time "METAL" Office furniture was "the big thing to have".    While some of these companies were actually manufacturers of metal office furniture, many were simply distributors.

Even the distributors would have name tags made up, which they placed on everything that they sold, for "advertising purposes".  While Van Dorn was a manufacturer, they purchased lines of metal office equipment that they did not themselves manufacture.

In 1898, the Van Dorn Iron Works Company was incorporated, a large addition was made to the plant and the manufacture of a structural iron work begun. Many additions have since been made to the factory and to the list of products, art metal furniture for offices becoming an important line.   (biography of James Van Dorn   http://www.onlinebiographies.info/oh/cuya/vandorn-jh.htm)

The safe in the photo that you have provided appears to be a "Schwab Fire resistive, cabinet safe", from the late 1920's through early 1940's.

Probably the closest company that I would recommend would be:

Southern Safe & Vault          About 70 miles away
228-206-1393         Ron Jewel
1005 Debra Dr.
Gulfport, Mississippi  39503

A little closer, however I don't have any personal knowledge of his work, is:

After hours Safe & Lock          About 30 miles away
985-641-9695          Steve Lemoine
228 SCOTT DRIVE
SLIDELL, LA   70458

While there may be some closer companies to you, I don't personally know of them, so you will need to do YOUR research, to determine if they are someone you would want to work for you.
Generally, anyone who can't flat rate their pricing, for a safe like this - doesn't know what they are doing and should probably be avoided.   I also DO NOT recommend using locksmiths for safe work - I've seen too many butchered safes by well intentioned locksmiths who want to learn the safe trade.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)