Antique Safes/Victor Strong box

Question
QUESTION: Wondering if you have any info for finding keys and lock mech. for a Victor Safe and Lock, Cincinatti, Ohio.
Marked 1917, QMC (Quartermaster) USA.
Believe it to be called a strong box.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Wayne,

Victor Safe and Lock made thousands of these "Quartermaster" chests for the US Military for use in WWI.    These containers were used to secure everything from payrolls to small arms and documents.

As Victor Safe and Lock has been out of business since about 1920, when they were acquired by the Safe Cabinet Company, finding an original working key is going to be about as easy as catching the tooth fairy.

This doesn't mean that keys can't be hand made for the lock, it just means that there are no sources for original ones.

If you have a real locksmith shop or a local safe company, they should be able to hand fabricate a key for the lock on this container.   If they tell you that key blanks are not available, while that is true - I used the term "Hand Made" keys.    If they aren't interested in making them, or if you don't have a local company, you can always send the lock in to me, to have the keys made.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Terry,
Thanks for the reply, however it doesn't have the lock mechanism either.
I am hoping to locate one or a replica.
Thanks,
Wayne

Answer
Hi Wayne,

Sorry but there is no such thing as "replica locks"!   There simply isn't a market for them.   If the lock is missing you possibly will never find one.   There are no sources for these locks, and if there are any out there, they are possibly in someone's collection - and they aren't going to let it go cheaply.

The only place that you would find the correct lock, would be on a similar container, in worse condition than yours, to use as a parts donor.

While older key locks are available, finding one with the correct foot print is going to be difficult.    Once you have the correct dimensions, you can take the measurements to every lock and safe company you can find to see if they have any thing that matches.   Generally most companies aren't going to be receptive to digging through their boxes of old parts, and if they do, you should expect to pay a premium price for the lock.

Your only other option would be to have a similar size lock retrofitted to your container to make it operational.   This may require some alterations.

Sorry, I wish the answer was better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)