Antique Safes/Weight of Hall's Safe

Question
This subject is a  "THE HALL'S SAFE COMPANY"  Cincinnati safe with serial number 30 - 447 on the crank handle knob.  The customer label at the top reads: "Railway Express" and the exterior dimensions are 27" deep X 43" high X 29" wide.  I have pictures but will need to convert to your acceptable format if needed.

My question is not about value as I will keep this in its current condition.  We are planning to move this safe to a new home under construction and are obviously approaching this move with everyone's safety in mind.  Could you help us in this regard by providing an estimate of the weight of this safe?  Also, do you feel that a sling lift would be more stable than use of a fork lift - and could palletize if that makes sense.  Appreciate your expert opinion!

Answer
Hi Gary,

I would be happy to look at your safe, fortunately the list of photos that I need are the same for an appraisal, an evaluation, or to answer questions.

As far as giving you instructions on moving the safe, for obvious liability reasons we don't do that.   In general if you don't have the necessary skills and equipment for moving heavy objects safety, then the proper answer is to hire someone that is equipped to move the safe - safely!
With out seeing your safe, and just going by your dimensions, this safe could around 1500 to 2000 lbs.   
while ultimately a custom pallet will make it easier to handle and transport, it still needs to be properly restrained during moving.   Sudden stops during transport can easily turn a heavy safe into a really heavy projectile.

Again, I recommend that you contact a local safe company to have it moved.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)