Antique Safes/Yale Combo

Question
I have an old small safe that came off a Navy ship with a YALE combo.
I have the combo but when I get  to the end ,right to zero, then left to ten
it  doesn't want open without playing with it.
     Is there any way to tighten the combo ,so you go to open it , and you don't have
to finesse it?    Tim

Answer
Tim, Yale hand change locks with heavy wear is the usual cause of this problem.  One or more of the wheels fail to line up correctly with the flipper fence. I would recommend finding a locksmith or safe tech with experience on these locks to adjust the comb to compensate for the wear. Also it sounds like you may be adding an extra turn in the sequence, the right turn to zero. Possibly this was an attempt to bypass the wear, by reversing the dialing sequence.  As long as you are not tied to the original combination, you can try adding or subtracting a number from each of your combination numbers, one at a time.  Keep track of what you dial and you may hit on a more reliable combination.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen