Antique Safes/Acorns

Question
Acorn
Acorn  
Andy,
I recently acquired a 1930's ish Herring-Hall-Marvin safe from my mother that sold her house. It has been in my family since early 1975 and, as the story goes, it came from the Hanover Theater in Worcester, Ma. It was in a fire, there are obvious sign of extreme heat on the door, but functional even with slight warpage of the door. The Theatre was under a different name in the 30's but really not important. I have begun to repair the interior and will soon strip the exterior for a full blown restoration. I am missing one acorn, appears to be nickel plated thin stock so after 1917, I was wondering if you might have on kicking around that you are willing to part with versus having 4 machined. The photos are attached.
Peter Booth

Answer
Hi Peter,

I probably have several, but they are not simply "kicking around", I have older safe parts which I have saved from the salvagers, for just such projects.   If it were simply "kicking around", that would indicate that it has limited value.   As I am saving these parts for safe restoration, this would indicate that I believe it to have some value.

Price wise, while they are going to be slightly less than machined ones, you won't have to buy four to have a set, though you may still need to have them replated depending on the overall condition.

As far as the "fire", do you actually have knowledge of the fire, or are you just basing it on the cracked condition of the painted surface?    If it is the latter, then you may be wrong about the fire.    Manufacturers used varnish as a standard clear coat for many years.   Varnish will tend to crack or "craze" with years of age, often resembling a surface that appears to have been through heat.    If this is the case, removal of the old varnish may partially restore the painted surface, or at a minimum bring it back to life a little.

As for the possible apparent warpage, there could be a number of reasons causing this.   Without a thorough examination, I can't address this issue.

I would be happy to look through all of the acorns that I have to see if I have something similar to yours, though you will need to send this photo and a request directly to my email.   I won't be in the office until Tuesday, and by then I will have forgotten this request.    I will send you photos of what I have so that you can see what you are getting before I send it.

Obviously before sending it, I will need contact info, shipping info, as well as payment - but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)