Antique Safes/Fichet-Bauche

Gillian wrote at 2014-10-29 21:23:35
In the event you are still looking for information, I can provide the following. We sold and installed several of these unique safes. This Fichet Bauche safe provides both fire and burglary resistance with 4-way bolts locking directly into the body so that the door cannot be pried open. The exquisite casing is in fact all steel, not wood, and "the finish is hand painted by factory-trained craftsmen, faithfully reproducing the appearance of the most expensive wood." A furniture company really wouldn't be able to give you an idea of its value. The last safe I sold of this model was in 1991. I've done a bit of checking and am not coming up with anything on value today. It has an internal capacity of 1.4 cubic feet. The Fichet Bauche security locks are unlike anything in the USA.  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place