Antique Safes/Large Hotel Safe for Sale

Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  
How and where do I sell a Large Hotel safe (MOSLER) standing 7ft tall by 6 ft wide ?  

Hi Mark,

While your safe may have been owned at some point by a hotel, it is NOT a "Hotel" safe.   This container is simply a large fire resistive container, designed to protect documents from heat in the event of a fire.

Unless this container has a secondary, burglary resistive chest inside, it is NOT a burglary resistive container.

As far as selling it - good luck!    You have several issues that are going to make it difficult.    First is its size and weight.    Manufacturers never planned on these containers being sold more than once, so they weren't concerned with the size and weight.    It was figured that sales of these items would be done by a safe company that had the capability of installing it.    As a private individual, "YOU" have to come up with some solutions to have it moved.   Hopefully you have a local safe company, that is equipped to move large safes like this.    You also have to understand that any potential "buyer" would also have to consider the moving costs as part of the sale.   With a safe this size, this could be a substantial "negative" incentive.    Because similar, much smaller safes are easier to move, they can generally command higher prices, and are easier to move.

second item is its age.   The Mosler Safe Company has been out of business since 2001, and even though this container still has many useable years, its age and "obsolescence" is also going to be a negative value.   Most safe companies will probably charge you to simply to haul the safe away.   While you will be out a couple hundred dollars, the headache will be gone, and you won't have to worry about selling it.

You also have options like Ebay and Craigs List, as well as local advertising to use.   Be prepared to bargain the price down from your asking price, as again, the customer WILL have to consider having it moved or shipped.

You also need to have a better description of what you actually have, so potential buyers have something to go off of.   Inside of the doors, should be a manufacturers data plate, and possibly a UL label, indicating what the safe is rated for.
Description info should include the Manufacturers name, the exterior and interior dimensions, weight, and the data plate information & ratings.   You should also have information on where the container is located, how difficult it is going to be to move it out, and a note about available safe companies that will be able to handle moving it.

this also means that you should probably do some homework to see where the nearest safe company is located, and can they handle this big safe.   Also possible "basic charge rates", would be helpful.

After advertising, hopefully you will get some inquiries about it, but unless you have it "priced to sell", chances are that you may be holding on to it for several years until the right buyer comes along.   Unfortunately, your luck selling it WILL depend upon how well you advertise it.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada