Antique Safes/milners' safe

Question
safe
safe  

safe
safe  
Hey Mike,

I have come cross a millers brown safe, with " p549 ps244" on top of it, which I think it might be a serial number!
I have the keys, and it works just fine!   I have no  knowledge about this safe at all. I try to get rid of this because we are renovating the house! Just wondering, how much it probably worth?!  I got few more pics but Im only allowed to attach 2!
thanks so much!!

Answer
Hello Joanne,

Thank you for your enquiry and the pictures.  Milner's was one of the earliest safe makers and probably the most successful.  The were founded in the mid 1800's and continued well into the 1900's eventually merging with Chatwood to become Chatwood-Milner and finally being acquired by Chubb.

This particular safe was manufactured circa 1910 and this type of construction is referred to a 'four corner banded' safe.  I was made from a single sheet of mild steel bent 4 times to form the top, bottom and two sides of a box.  A back plate was added and a door mounted at the front.  However, this type of safe was very vulnerable to attack using simple hand tools and heavy bands were added to the front and back to cover the weak seams, but it was soon obsolete.

I don't know values of safes in New Zealand so I can only comment with reference to the UK where they are virtually worthless.  Because of their obsolete construction, insurers are reluctant to extend cover to their contents.  They are also very heavy and it can cost more to move them than they are worth.  However, you can almost always find a Milner's safe on eBay and it could be worth posting it for auction, but make sure you state 'collection only'.

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer