Antique Safes/Murphy Door Bed Co. safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Close up
Close up  
I just moved into a new house, and I had a Murphy Door Bed Co. safe in my basement. It's from 1922, and I don't know the combination, or even the way to dial it. I've check around for the code, so this is my last idea.
From what I found out, they all have the same code. It has a total of 2 dials, one that doesn't seem to move. The other moves, both when pulled out, and when simply moved about.

Thanks a lot, if you need more information, please ask.
Ronan

Answer
Ronan,

I'm not sure where you got the info or the idea that the Murphy walls safes "ALL" have the same combination, but it is not true.   Each one had a unique combination.

My first recommendation would be to have you look around the area the safe is in, in the closets, above doors, on the walls, to see if a combination is written down.  Many times people will write the combo down somewhere convenient so they don't have to worry about forgetting it.

If you can't find the combo then you have two choices, the first being to have a trained safe tech work on your safe, and the second to set up a spread sheet with all of the available combo's and test each one out.  Testing 500 different combo's each day will take you just short of 3 years to test all the combos - chances are you will find the combo long before you check them all out.

The knob on the right is the combination dial, it should rotate and pull out slightly around "0".
The knob on the left is the handle / cam dial, it will only turn "IF" the combination has been dialed correctly.

I checked some old documents to verify exactly what the dialing sequence is.  Per the factory instructions you should:

4 times right to (xx)
3 times left to (xx)
2 times right to (xx)
Pull the "dial" out, and then rotate the handle knob counter clockwise to open.

Your other option would be to have a trained safe technician open the safe for you.

If the handle doesn't pull out or rotate the combo is incorrect.

Hope this helps.   If you need a trained safe technician (NOT a locksmith), I'll need to know where you are located (zipcode), so that I can see whom I might know in your area.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)