Antique Safes/Old safe

Question
Hello,

I have an old safe marked Garry Safe Company Buffalo N.Y. on the side at the top and Ford A. Featherstone Hamilton Ontario at the bottom (also at the side. It has a handle on top that turns and releases two thick bolts allowing the safe to open. There is a also a key required to allow the handle to turn. the key is broken in the lock.would this safe have any value ??

Regards
Bill Julius

Answer
Hi Bill,

The name of the company is "CARY Safe Company", not "Garry"!    This company was in business from 1878 until the beginning of the Great Depression, about 1929.

The "Ford A. Featherstone, Hamilton, Ontario" appears to have been a dealer or sales agent for several safe companies.   I have a July 28, 1906 listing for them in an exposition, presumably in Winnipeg, Ontario, indicating that their exhibit of safes and vault doors was very impressive, and describing some of the fire resistive safes.   (Winnipeg Tribune, July 28th, 1906, page 6).

I found a second listing in the Manitoba Morning Free Press, 9 August, 1910, page 13.  This advertisement indicated that Ford A. Featherstone sold new and used (second hand) safes.

and lastly I also found a third listing in the Ottawa Journal for 31 August, 1915, giving a listing for the 1915 Ottawa Exposition, with a listing of potential exhibitors, indicating that anyone interested had until September to submit their applications.   So the Ford A. Featherstone company may have had an exhibit at this exposition as well.

At a minimum, what these references give us is some type of time frame that your safe might have been sold - in this case from 1906 to 1915.   While the Ford A. Featherstone company may have stared before and continued after these dates - this is what we have to work with currently.
Ford A. Featherstone (Safe dealer / distributor) 1906-1915
Cary Safe Company, 1878-1929

While I have a listing by serial number, of approximate manufacturing dates, I'm constantly refining the list, as more info arises, so that we will have more accurate information and dates.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to see what you actually have.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)