Antique Safes/open safe

hi terry i have a vintage j. baum comb floor safe w/o combination or key i was told the only way to open the safe was to drill,but i dont want deface or devalue the safe any info you give appreciated & do known of any one in newyork that can help

Hi Philip,

First off, you do not have a "vintage" safe - the word vintage applies to a grape harvest or the year of a wine bottling, not to "old" stuff.   While your safe may or may not be an antique needs to be seen.

While manipulation is definitely an option with your safe, the problem is having a trained safe technician, with these skills available, and even then, manipulation is not a guarantee - you will be paying for the service and NOT the results.   Drilling when done correctly by a trained safe technician will open the safe, and should not do any damage to the safe or the lock.   When done correctly the very small hole - usually smaller than 1/4" can easily be repaired.

Unfortunately you did not indicate where in New York state you are located, which makes it difficult to recommend anyone.    I do have a really good safe technician on Long Island who is very skilled at manipulation.   You would have to discuss the service with him to decide if it will work for you.    Let me know where you are located - zipcode -  and I'll see if I know anyone closer.

You can give the following company a call to schedule up service with them:

Precision Lock & Safe
866-513-8121  or 516-616-0854         Dov or Elaad Israeli
240 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, New York

They may know of someone closer to you as well, however Elaad specializes in antique safe restoration, so I know that he will take care of your safe.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada