Antique Safes/opening a MacNeale & Urban safe

Question
We were given an old safe last week.  We think we have the combination, it has an alphabet dial.  But all info that I can find on your site is not getting it open. The combination says to go; plus 11 past each letter.  Dial seems to tighten up to third letter, then loosens.  Have played with this and tried different turns, or different ways of using same letters, same thing happens.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Donna

Answer
Hi Donna,

First item - this is NOT my site - I'm simply a volunteer here.   Instructions for any given safe or manufacturer are not posted, and I always recommend contacting us with your question, rather than trying to do your own research, as it is going to be must faster, and possibly more accurate.

There are only three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers (or letters in this case), and finally,
3.  Mechanical problems.

In this case, you are either making a dialing error, or the numbers that you think are correct, may not be.    Also, people tend to pass on combinations the way that THEY understand them, and NOT necessarily the way that they work.   I have no idea what the "Plus 11, past each letter" means - unless the previous owner encoded the combination, it doesn't make ANY sense.

In general, MacNeale & Urban used their OWN lock, which means that standard dialing instructions do not work.   the dialing sequence for your lock should be as follows:

4 times right to the first letter,
3 times left to the second letter,
2 times right to the third letter,
1 time left to the fourth letter,  (usually this is "K"),
right until the dial stops  (should be around "H").

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise,   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual letter as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you still can't get it to open, then you either don't have the correct combination, or you are making a dialing error.    you probably need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.   You need a safe tech who is familiar with these locks and this manufacturer.

Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see I might know in your area, that I might recommend.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)