Antique Safes/Unknown liquid in vials on door of HHM safe

Question
unknown liquid in two vials
unknown liquid in two  

unknown liquid - two vials
unknown liquid - two v  
Many years ago I bought an HHM safe second hand.  There is something mounted on the inside back of the door that I intend to get rid of, but don't know what it is.  I'll try to attach 2 pictures.  Behind the metal cover are two vials, nine inches long and 1 inch in diameter, containing an almost clear liquid.  This attachment is clearly an "after market" attachment.  May be a fire suppressant, because a partially remaining sticker mentions "fire department if discharged".  Nothing else is left of the sticker.  Another possibility is that it is a booby trap with tear gas that waits for someone to try to force their way in.  Incidentally, I know nothing of the history of this safe, but there are scars on it indicating that forced entry was attempted at some time by someone with no knowledge of safes.  (Hacksaw marks on the hinges.)  Would you know what this liquid is, and/or what precautions should be used in disposing of it?

Answer
Kelsey,

This is NOT an unknown liquid, it is either a CS or CN type of tear gas.   Having the vials attached to the back of your safe - whether or not you installed them - constitutes a felony in most states - "Booby trapping".   Which means if this gas is activated you could be held liable for anyone's injuries.

Second item, while it is illegal to own and possess more than very small amounts of tear gas for personal protection, this type of tear gas generally requires that you have a permit to possess, having it may result in a misdemeanor.

You should check your state and local ordnances to see where you stand.

While these items were legal for sale up to about 1980, this hasn't been the case for about 30+ years now.

You have several options for disposal.

1.  You can contact your local authorities, who will probably show up with the fire department, HAZMAT team, and possibly the bomb squad.   You may be cited and fined for possession, and you may have to pay the cost for all of these service teams and the disposal.

2.  You can contact a local safe company to have them remove the device and dispose of it.   generally most safe companies will have some type of arrangement with the local authorities for disposal.   While you will have a fee for these services - it WILL eliminate your possible exposure to any criminal (felony or misdemeanor) type charges and/or fines.

3.  You can dispose of this as a DIY project.   Note:  we do not recommend this as these chemicals are extremely hazardous, and can result in death if someone with any type of respiratory type illness comes in contact with the gas.    YES THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STUFF!!!
If you do remove it dispose of it either through your local HAZMAT agency or a local safe company.
If you decide to simply take it to a remote location like a gravel quarry, then make sure that no one is down wind of the area that you break the vials in.   In a large open area, the tear gas will dissipate rather quickly and leave no lasting residue.

If the vials break in an enclosed area, the tear gas and its residue may last for weeks.   Obviously in an incident like this (especially if someone is injured), will result in the authorities being notified, and you may be back to option #1 whether you like it or not.

Hope this gives you some ideas and directions.   My recommendation is to NOT mess with these vials (or the safe) until you have come up with a SAFE disposal plan.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)