Antique Safes/Victor Cannonball Safe 1907

I have had several questions for you during the restoration of my 1907 Victor Safe Company Cannonball safe.  I am very Close to completion.  Thanks for the prior help

My safe was a 'one-owner'.  Delivered to a small Bank in Ohio.  I have the original receipt and a newspaper article from 1908 with the delivery of the safe.

The safe is fully functional.

I have refinished the safe in a base coat/clear coat Black, recreated the original graphics and replated all the nickle components.

My final obstacle is the 16" stainless steel cover for the massive safe door.  The cover is a separate piece that contains the combination lock and weighs 50 to 75 pounds.

My cover was pitted.  I have removed all pits by sanding and have polished the stainless steel cover.  During this process, the original circle type etching on the 16" diameter cover was lost.
There are multiple photos of the etched design available

The nearly finished product is just so nice that I will not be happy until I find a Vendor to re-etch the Stainless steel door cover.

The cost of this final step is not a major factor.

Can you assist me in locating a Vendor that will preform this service and allow me to complete my restoration?

Sam Hatcher

Hi Sam,

The original art work was probably "acid etched" into the cover.   You would have to check your area to see if you have anyone capable of this type of art work.   I did a quick online yellow pages check for hand engravers in Illinois, and came up with a listing of 75 individuals, so this would be another alternative.

Here are a couple links for DIY acid etching, if you choose to try it yourself.   You might need an artist from a local art school or perhaps a tattoo artist to draw the art work on the steel prior to applying the acid.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada