Antique Safes/Cary Floor Safe

Question
Cary Safe Company Safe
Cary Safe Company Safe  

Safe
Safe  
Hi Andy, My grandfather had a Cary Safe that he kept fireworks in (as well as money) when I was a kid. I am now 60, and have had the safe in my possession since about 1976. The wine colored floor (with all the black and gold lettering) safe is 33" tall and 22" wide, with an actual interior  usable safe area, that I know the combination , as it works just fine. The combination dial has the Patented Sept. 16, 1890 date on its front.
Anyway, since my husband and I moved from our big home to a townhouse, I no longer have anywhere to display it, so would like to sell it. I'd say it is in fair to good condition for its age, but I have no clue what value it has to a collector of this type of floor safe. I also do not know how to find a new owner for it. Could you help?

Answer
Hi Colleen,

Based on the info and photos that you have provided, I would expect your safe to have either a Cary C-3 or C-5 lock.

While the patent "ISSUE" date for the lock is Sept. 16th 1890, Cary didn't start making their C-3 and C-5 locks until early 1891.   These locks were used until early 1907, about a 16 year period.

While I would be more than happy to look at your safe to try to narrow down the dates, and to figure out exactly what you have, I will need to see it.    Also, I don't try to find buyers - sorry but that is your job.   As with any item you want to sell, its all about advertising.    There are a number of places that you can use, like EBay, Craigs List, local want ads, or flyers, you can also try antique dealers and/or auction houses, though the dealers and auction houses generally want a generous commission for helping sell your safe.

Second problem is time - if you need to sell the safe, and have no room to store it until you do, then you also need to be willing to sell it for a substantial price LESS than it is worth.    If you have a value in mind that YOU won't let it go for less than, then you also need to be prepared to hold on to it until you find the right buyer.

You might also want to check with other relatives who might want to keep it in the family.   Once its gone, your chances of getting this heirloom back will be slim to none.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)