Antique Safes/changing the combination

Question
How do  I change the combination on a herring-hall-marvin safe. Inside the door is a steel plate. When removed there is a smaller round plate, which is behind the combination wheel. I know the combination, since it was my grandfathers. Now I would like to change the combination, so only I know it instead of the whole family, since it now belongs to me.
thank you for any help you can provide.
Donald 48

Answer
Hi Donald,

I never recommend combination changing or any type of lock disassembly as a DIY project, for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe service.   Lack of training, knowledge of the locks and tools can result in an extremely expensive lockout.

Than being said,   If you still want to try this yourself, I will need a much better description of the lock, and/or photos so that I can see what you have.

Take photos of the dial, and the lock curb so that I can see what you have.   You may have to remove the back panel of the safe to obtain access to the lock.

Send all of the photos to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com    so that I can see what you have, and look for the correct combination changing instructions.

Note:   If you can't pull it appart to get the photos, without having problems then I would recommend that you have the combination changed by a local safe companies safe technician.    Cost would be MUCH less than making a mistake.

As we are not in the business of training you to do the work, the only thing we would provide would be the instructions.    I also have a holdharmless form which you will need to sign prior to our releasing any instructions.  

As soon as I receive the photos and your request, I'll send the form for your signature, while I put together any instructions.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)