Antique Safes/Hall Safe and Lock floor safe with time lock

Question
safe door reverse
safe door reverse  
safe door
safe door  
QUESTION: Have a Hall"s Safe and Lock Company with Stamford Company time lock with two clocks, door features dovetail iron machine work. Opened for first time in over 50 years two weeks ago, money box combo not available. Closing estate and looking to sell or scrap this item depending on your feedback.

ANSWER: Leon,

If you scrap this unit, I WILL hunt you down and beat you within an inch of your life!   Seriously.

You have a beautiful bankers safe, with what appears to be a two movement Yale time lock and a Hall's Premier bank lock.

The Yale Lock Mfg. Co. was in Stamford, Connecticut.

I would be more than happy to look at the safe for you to see what you have.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

close view of time mechanism box
close view of time mec  

perspective
perspective  
QUESTION: I have an additional image or two. (All are with a Kodak digital camera) The additional detailed views you request I'll be able to obtain next Thursday, as family members and I prepare a sale for Saturday morning14 June (yes military retired-Marine combatant Vietnam, Navy casualty receiving director during the invasion of Iraq in 2003).
Have a second less exciting (no time clock) sitting open in the front office. Will be documenting it also.
If your travels bring you near Hastings NE next (12, 13, 14 June) Thursday, Friday, Saturday morning til noon, we'll welcome you to go over this safe of the initial discussion. It sits in a vintage Mosler vault adjoined by a similar vintage Mosler with about five hundred deposit boxes of seven different constructions. Plus the little other bank safe (based on the painting on that safe it was a bank safe.)
Otherwise we'll scratch our heads on what to do with this bank safe. Locksmith researching drilling the moneybox single dial combination.
Any concept of range of value understand that is like "any fish in this lake" type question.
Joe Davis

Answer
Hi Joe,

I would love to see the photos of your collection.

First item - your safes are NOT "Vintage" - this misused word only describes the age of a grape harvest or bottling of a wine, not "old" safes.   What you have are "antiques".

Next item, locksmiths generally have little training, knowledge and tools and can result in the excessive damage and/or exhorbant fees for working on your safes.   I would recommend that you use a trained safe technician to avoid damage.

If you are looking to sell this safe, I would recommend you contact Guy Zani Jr. at:  www.theantiquesafecollector.com    He buys and restores antique safes.

The Antique Safe Collector - Guy Zani Jr.
5300 Casa Nueva Dr., New Port Richey, Florida 34655
Telephone: 727-372-8539  
email: theantiquesafecollector@yahoo.com

I talked to Guy earlier today, and know that he may be interested in something like this, though he already has several really large projects in the works.

hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)